1- Library’s introduction & objectives
Is a collective and renewable resource place at which all kinds of knowledge, science, and research are reachable. It works to provide fluent access to the information services necessary for the education and scientific research purposes. Its mission is aiming to serve the individual and society by providing information sources in various forms and types.
- Keeping in an update with the all faculty members, researchers, and graduate/undergraduate students information resources needs and following up with them continuously.
- Improving of the library system in line with recent developments in library and information services.
- Facilitating the library services in an easy way to enable all the University member’s and outside society users to get access to the information sources, books and references.
- Provide an appropriate studying and research atmosphere.
- Continuous development of the librarian members.
- Cooperate with other counterparts libraries in other departments and universities as well as publishing and distribution sources.
- Contributing in community service through attributing with other university’s libraries in exchanging librarian experiences and activities.
- Opening channels of communication and partnerships with national and international libraries through the communication service in the library site.
2- Library functions:
Are Covered all the duties of requesting, receiving, and preparing the information sources books, journals, papers, references, theses, etc. These functions are presented in the form of:
- Exchanging & donation: The library can purchase some publications through an exchange, buying, and donation. The library works to register books and theses with the library's records, as well as sorting books and surplus papers for the purpose of exchanging or donating them to other universities and educational institutions. A committee must be set up for the purpose of procurement requirements.
- Indexing and classification: Books are processed by a technical processing descriptive index, which shows the book in a way that makes it easier for the beneficiary to get it, based on the lists of classification (cutter) and the decimal system. This work needs to a specialist in the field of information science and libraries. As soon as this procedure is finished, the book goes to be documented and completed the registration process. Finally, a classification card is issued and entered into the system of the library (winisis) (electronic index) to be available to the users.
Are specialized in technical supports including of network, website, internet browsing, data base, electronic index, and all library’s modern technologies. They are consisted of:
- Electronic and digital library: With this service, the electronic copies come with hard books, journals, papers, and dissertations are prepared to be uploaded on the library website and printed out on CDS.
- Virtual Library: This unit is responsible to train and guide all the graduate students and faculty members on how to use the contents of the library site and complete the registration.
- Computerized Index: In this unit, the bibliographic information card is inserted into the database (winisis). However, an automatic search of the beneficiaries from inside and outside the university is provided via allocation of a set of computers for that purpose.
* Beneficiary Services:
This function is offering multi-services to the department faculty members and graduate /undergraduate students, and its duties are providing (borrowing books, reporting delayed books return, sending attention alerts, and imposing fines for the late return). In addition, it makes sure that all resources are in their correct places according to the classification numbers. In general, this service includes:
- Borrowing: providing internal and external borrowing services for the library contents books and theses.
- References: including of handbooks, dictionaries, and Q & A service which contains answers of all questions related to library system and technical services.
- Periodicals: comprising of journals with all the engineering specialties taught at the university for internal borrowing and printing. This unit is responsible for cataloging and classification of periodicals.
- Theses: Including of all university dissertations and diplomas.
*Library Instructions & Regulations :
1- The Library is responsible to provide sources of information in its various forms, types, and subjects; in such a way as to ensure that the needs of the beneficiaries are met.
2 – Scientifically organizing of information sources to ensure fluent and accurate access to it.
3- Providing information services to beneficiaries in a scientific method.
4 - Guide the beneficiaries on how to use the library system covering all available services and techniques.
5 - Provide technical consultations in the field of libraries for each of the individuals or entities.
6- Cooperating in the field of libraries inside and outside Iraq in order to achieve mutual benefits.
7- Participate in activities provided by other entities in the field of libraries.
8- Holding public and private exhibitions and participating in exhibitions held by other parties.
* Library beneficiaries & their backgrounds:
1- Undergraduate students of the science and engineering departments.
2- Graduate students M.Sc. and Ph.D.
3- All the University faculty members.
4- Outside and visitors B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D., researchers.
*Library information service:
1- Internal & external books, journals, theses, papers, etc., checkout.
2- Booking service of information sources.
3- Electronic search.
4- Printing & copying services.
5- Library contents flyers.
6- Bulletin board Updating with the library recently upcoming.